Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sailing Caribbean

I flew down to Grand Bahama, an island just across the Gulf Stream from Florida and got to the Contessa after about 26 hours of flying and airports. The Bahamian customs were convinced that I was going to move here forever since I had no return ticket and made me buy a ticket back to the states...oh the joys of bureaucracy.

I'm now in the Exuma Islands slowly working my way south toward the Windward Passage between Cuba and Haiti where I will be able to sail straight 700 miles or so to Panama. The sailing here is hard work because the prevailing winds are right on the nose and all the shallows, but it is made up for with the beautiful anchorages and crystal clear water.

Sailing a Contessa 26 is great because although quite small she handles like a proper ship. She isn't particularly fast or roomy, but you feel that she could take a real blow in safety.

I'm at a tiny island right now, but when I get to Georgetown will send a longer post and some pictures.

Cheers,

Ryan

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Ryan. Sorry to hear that you had to make a donation to the airlines. It's interesting to follow your voyage and to hear how the Contessa 26 is to sail solo. It sounds like a great little boat. I'd be curious to hear how it compares to the S&S 34 that Jesse and Jessica sailed around the world. I'm looking forward to hearing from you when you get to Georgetown. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

    From Seattle, WA, USA
    SaltyDog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put on your blinders and keep going. If you don't you may never want to leave the beauty of the waters and people of the Exuma Islands. Say Hi to Lerman at the Peace and Plenty Bar in Georgetown.

    ReplyDelete