Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pictures

Recently, I have had to use every bit of time I've got to work on the thousands of tasks involved with a round the world sailing campaign, and with so much to do and so little time it has made it quite easy to avoid certain tasks which are not at the top of the priority list. Over the past few days that has been completing the online work and getting some decent pictures taken, both of which I am now working on.

I have long been aware of the fact that to get the sponsorship necessary for the voyage I will have to sell my soul. After I was called by a major news station one of my mates warned me that before long I will find myself on some TV commercial holding up a tube of toothpaste and saying "That's why I use Crest", a dreadful thought to say the least. Thus far that hasn't been necessary, but we shall see what the future holds.

I always associated having my picture taken with corny school pictures or family portraits where you are seated on a stool in front of some fake background and must pretend to be happy in front of some dreadful machine. Just the thought still sends shivers down my spine. However, when you decide to sail around the world, it is only natural for people to want to know what you look like and I could avoid a proper photo shoot no longer.

I rugged up in the proper attire, keeping in mind that real men wear pink, and with some help we took about 5 million pictures from which we were able to select a few to put up on the site. I will attach a couple of them so you can take a look.

On one of my first big trips I traveled with my family throughout South America and was able to check out some incredible places like Macchu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, and Patagonia at the incredibly impressionable age of 11. It was on that trip that I got to travel to the "end of the world" and be within perhaps 100 miles of Cape Horn. What I'm getting at is that we traveled through parts of Chile that have been devastated by the earthquake and I can only imagine how terrible the circumstances must be down there. Although Chile is better off than many of the surrounding countries, it is still a whole lot worse off than many of us and they deserve any help we can give them. As always with this kind of situation, every bit helps. Here are a few ways you can help.

Save The Children -- Save The Children is sending an emergency assessment team to Chile, and is asking for contributions to its Children's Emergency Fund to aid these efforts.

World Vision -- The international development, relief and advocacy organization has already sent its first relief flight, from Bolivia, with supplies like tarps, blankets, plastic sheeting, and collapsible water containers for survivors. Support these efforts with earmarked gifts to families that need them.

AmeriCares -- Vice President of Emergency Response, Christoph Gorder, says AmeriCares is sending medical supplies and humanitarian aid to Chile. Make a direct contribution to AmeriCares' Chilean earthquake fund.

Habitat for Humanity -- Habitat for Humanity has a continual presence in Chile, where the group has constructed more than 1,300 homes. Habitat will be essential in reconstruction efforts, especially in hard-hit rural areas.

International Medical Corps -- IMC has a presence in dozens of countries around the globe, providing immediate medical care to those affected by natural disasters. Contribute to its emergency response fund.

ShelterBox -- International disaster relief agency ShelterBox has mobilized a team to bring aid to Concepcion, Chile's second largest city, which saw the worse damage.






4 comments:

  1. Nice school pictures of you, but I had hoped that you might have some taken in "nautical poses" reflecting a more seafaring atmosphere. You are trying to attract sponsorship money for a circumnavigation. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh sexy! Thanks for posting these, keep them coming! ;)

    Em
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan,
    If you haven't read this, it's a great read and may give you some ideas!
    http://www.tradeaboat.com.au/news-and-reviews/article/articleid/58540.aspx
    Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine you're not going to get many comments until you do something serious, like letting us know if you'd like help with anything...money, sponsorship, fund raising, website work, refit labor, etc, etc. Amazing story in that link above by the way...I had no idea how Jesse got her boat!
    Cheers!
    Roger Jeffries

    ReplyDelete